Welcome!


It's not about what grade you teach, which class you teach, where you teach, or even if you teach (administrators and staff support play an important role in student learning as well.) It's all about all of us working together to help all students learn more.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Summer Vacation is almost over!

My school's in-service starts August 23rd so my summer vacation is quickly fading. I've enjoyed the beach, read many books, and went on a family vacation to Busch Gardens.

While I took a break from the blog this summer, I did do some school things.

I went to Washington, DC for a Professional Learning Community Conference by Rick & Becky DuFour. Our school took our world history and geometry teachers to learn how to work effectively in PLCs. I am sold! Again, it's all about teachers working smarter, not harder to help ALL kids learn.  With Delaware's Race to the Top requirement of 90 minute meeting time each week, this training will help us be effective with that time.

My new favorite quote from Rick DuFour is "Don't tell me you believe that all students can learn. Tell me what you are doing for those that aren't."

I've also been working on my Teacher of the Year portfiolo for the Delaware State Teacher of the Year competition. It is due in the beginning of September so I want to get it finished and turned in so I can concentrate on the new school year. Wish me luck--the winner will be announced 10/26/10.

I also did a workshop for a neighboring school district "Successful Teaching in the Block Schedule"---I love it when teachers can look beyond where they teach and work collaboratively to help each other help ALL students!

I will be posting more frequently to the blog now that the school year will be starting. Some upcoming topics include:  Classroom Webpages, Teaching in the Block, Professional Learning Communities....

As always, I'm looking forward to the start of school (if only that didn't mean the end of my beach days!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do do think? I'd love to hear from you.
Leave your comment to get the discussion started.